Tuesday, 25 February 2014

How To: Moodboard for an Interview

Hi guys!


So the other day I was lucky enough to have an interview at the designer fashion store, Whistles. If I wasn't excited enough about the prospect of working somewhere that designs and produces such an amazing collection of clothes anyway, they set me a task for the interview to create a mood board based on the brand's identity. I've never been asked to do this before so this was a bit of a surprise - but definitely a pleasant one! Having a love for fashion, blogging and photoshopping, you guys will know how much I love making moodbaords and messing around with on-trend pieces, so this was an amazing opportunity!

I wanted to show you guys my mood board and what my top tips for creating one for a fashion interview are! (Sorry about the quality of the image, I accidentally deleted every copy of the original document - and the psd cause I'm a complete div - and this was the only copy I had left.)


Couttiepie's Top Moodboard Tips
  • Keep it simple, but detailed: Okay, so this sounds like a complete juxtaposition and probably doesn't make any sense but bare with me. What I mean by this, is make sure that you completely stick to the candidate brief. Give the company what they want - and all of it - but do it in a way that is easy to follow and easy to present. I made sure that I had as much on the board about every aspect of the brand I could think of but I also had to do a 10 minute presentation of my moodboard, so me and my boyfriend brainstormed the best ways to do so without digressing or rambling on. This brings me on to my next point;
  • Split up the board: In order to adhere to point 1, you should have a set order for your board. I mean, it's all well and good just throwing whatever's relevant onto the board, but when it comes to presenting your piece, you'll most likely find yourself getting confused and forgetting why you put what you've put. A structure therefore will give you main points on which to talk about and draw back to if you get stuck - what I did was take quotations from how the brand described itself and surrounded each quotation with examples of how they've been successful in showing their intentions. 
  • Tailor it: As you can see, my board exhibits a very mismatched 'thrown together' kind of look. The reasons I did my board in this way was not only to allude to fashion magazine and their style of editing (scrabook style cut-outs and wonky text), but also to reflect the ethos of the brand of the 'I just threw this together, and it worked' attitude. Whatever you're make your moodboard for, make sure the layout and style reflects the candidate brief as well as the content. I also included aspects of the brand's own blog on my mood board in order to tailor it directly. Described as 'the thinking woman's fashion brand,' Whistles appears very proud of the fact it represents intelligent and successful women, and on their blog they demonstrate this with posts dedicated to women who inspire the brand. I made sure this went on my mood board as it is very specific to the company - find your company's personal identity and exploit it!
  • Don't stick to one type of example: What I mean by this is embrace all the ways in which the brand/company has demonstrated its successes and strengths. I looked at the brand in the press, on the catwalks, their blogs, their collections, celebrities wearing the brand, the fact it was a global brand - even the brand's packaging. Look at all the ways you can think of in which the brand identifies and expresses itself and put them all on there! You wanna show that you know the brand better than anyone, and the best way to do this is to know it in every aspect of itself.
  • Highlight the brand/company's successes whenever possible: Don't worry about going overboard with this. No company wants to highlight its flaws, so the more you can show how the brand succeeds in all the areas it intends to succeed - and even more than that - the more they will love you. In my research, for example, I found that Whistles turned itself around in 2008 when CEO Jane Sheperdson took over. However, I didn't mention the failure - I just mentioned that since coming into head office, Sheperdson has excelled the brand even further than it stood previously.
  • Have fun: Finally, make sure you have fun with it! The purpose of a mood board is to not only demonstrate your thorough understanding of the brand in question, but also so the employer can gain an insight into your personality. If you're not having fun with your moodboard, you might come across too serious and scared. Most fashion stores want staff who can engage with customers, have a bit of a laugh but also be professional and that's what you want your board to show.
I haven't heard back from them yet so fingers crossed I get the job! 

How would you guys do a moodbaord? Have you had to do any before? 


2 comments: